What is Yahoo! Groups?
Yahoo! Groups is an online community where you can connect with people who share your interests and ideas. You can view and post messages, photos, polls, events, and links to websites. Members can create their own groups or join one of the thousands of existing groups.
Groups can be made private for a limited set of friends and family or shared with a wider audience of people on Yahoo! Groups. If you create your own group, you manage the content and control who can join.
To learn more, check out Yahoo! Groups Help.
What can I do to help stay safe on Yahoo! Groups?
Just as there may be risks in the town where you live, the Yahoo! Groups community may pose certain risks. Yahoo! Groups has a number of safety features, but you have to take care of yourself too. Here are a few things to keep in mind when you’re using Yahoo! Groups:
- Protect personal information. Don't post any personal information or photos that could identify you to strangers. In most cases, your email address will become known to the group through normal interactions. Learn more about the visibility of your email here.
- Use privacy settings. Some actions you take in public Groups may generate a Yahoo! Update. You can manage who sees your Updates through your Pulse settings. You can also limit the information people can see about you by creating a new public profile. To learn more about how to do this, please visit Yahoo! Groups Help.
- Chat with care. Groups users who are at least 18 years old can chat with other members in the group chat room. Before you start chatting, read the Community Guidelines so you know what kind of behavior is allowed. Think before you post anything, and always remember not to share private or sensitive information.
- Help keep the chat rooms clean. If you see other members acting inappropriately in a chat, mouse over the member’s name in the user list to the right of the chat, and click the “report abuse” link to report the user to Yahoo!.
- Don’t tolerate harassment. If another user bullies or harasses you, contact the group moderator and report the abuse to Yahoo!. You can also leave the group.
- Report inappropriate content. If you come across abusive language or content, report the content to Yahoo! through the “report abuse” links.
- User location mapping. If the group moderator adds a member’s address to the optional People Map feature of Yahoo! Groups, the member’s location can potentially be identified to the entire Yahoo! Group. Think twice before you give your address to anyone. If your location is added to People Map without your permission, be sure to notify the group moderator immediately.
- Look out for mature content. Yahoo! Groups users over 18 can post mature content. If the moderator of a group doesn’t place this content into an appropriate adult category, you might come across it while searching Yahoo! Groups. If that happens, please report the abuse to Yahoo!.
To protect young people, Yahoo! Groups doesn't let those under 13 create their own groups, but they can join groups.
If you are at least 13 years old and want to create a group on Yahoo! Groups, you should know how to do the following:
- Manage Group Settings. In the left column of you group, click the Management link. This will bring you to the Management Pages of the group where you can control who has access to your group and what features are enabled. You can learn more about all these settings in our “Moderator” section of Help.
- Hide a group from the public. You can hide your group to keep it from appearing in the Yahoo! Groups directory.
- Remove a group member. The moderator can remove anyone who behaves inappropriately in the group.
- Ban someone from the group. Banning inappropriate people from your group will prevent them from joining the group in the first place or rejoining the group if they were removed.
How can I report problems that happen on Yahoo! Groups?
If you are exposed to obscene language, mature content, threats of physical violence, harassment, or anything else that violates the Yahoo! Terms of Service or Yahoo! Groups Guidelines, please click on the “report abuse” link to report the incident to Yahoo!.
Yahoo!’s customer care team receives abuse reports and takes appropriate action as necessary, which may include deactivating an abuser’s account. Reports that indicate activity involving child pornography or solicitation of a minor are dealt with promptly by Yahoo!’s legal team and, when appropriate, reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).
Yahoo! is committed to providing a safer online experience for everyone and, accordingly, complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Yahoo! Groups provides a number of safety features to limit potential risks. However, protecting young people online is a responsibility shared with parents, teachers, and other caregivers.